instructions will guide you through running the Newtonia
Activity. The process is very similar for any of the models in the
Calculator HubNet models library. (Before running a model, make
sure you have first followed the steps to install Calculator HubNet.)|
Note that in future releases, we will
be enriching this library with more models from an increasing range of
subject areas. If you have an idea for a model, please contact us at email@example.com. All models and other news from the Calculator HubNet user community wil be available at http://www.inquirelearning.com/calc-hubnet.
Please also visit our friends at the University of Texas at
Austin, who are vigorously producing both models, materials, and
research. Their site dedicated to Calculator HubNet is http://generative.edb.utexas.edu/inquiry/inquiry.htm.
First, some notes on planning to use the model:
- Open the model using the steps below, outside of class, when you have the time to
explore what the model does and experience it from both the teacher and
student perspective. When you are planning, it is often a good
idea to use a single calculator with a "silverlink" cable, so that while practicing you
don't need to involve the entire wireless network.
- Take a look at the model's Information
tab. The notes here often provide good information for you as you
think about how to run the activity and conduct class discussions about
When you want to run the model, follow these steps:
- Launch TI-Navigator™ and begin a class.
- Have students log in.
- Launch NetLogo 4.0.2, either from the shortcut on TI-Navigator's Tools tab, or from the Start menu of your computer.
the Newtonia-Activity model from the Calculator HubNet Models Library.
To access the Models Library in NetLogo, go to the File menu and choose Models Library. The Calculator HubNet Activities folder will be at the bottom of the list.
- Press the Listen and the Go buttons in the NetLogo model, as directed in the pop-up window.
- Ask the students to join the model. From the Navigator Home screen on their calculators, they should choose 2: Network Apps, then Other Network Apps, then NavNlogo. On doing this, the system will log them in to the model with their TI-Navigator user name.